|It is time to review your knowledge of Climates/Biomes/Soils/
Vegetation/ & Agriculture
in preparation for the Unit Test.
Climates / Biomes / Soils / Vegetation / & Agriculture Review
1. The climate associated with the landscape in the photograph is
2. Deciduous forests are closely associated with which location on the map?
3. The main commercial activity associated with location Z on the map is the
4. Rapid population growth and unsuitable agricultural practices have resulted in soil degradation at which location on the map?
5. The soil profile typically associated with the region represented by the climate graph is
For a season it is rainless. The grasses dry up and the deciduous trees rely on their stored water for survival. Convectional precipitation heralds the arrival of the rainy season as the rivers are refreshed, the grasses grow, and the leaves spring forth.
6. The biome associated with the description above is a
7. What is the greatest annual threat to the natural vegetation located at V on the map above?
8. The biome associated with the area located at Z on the map above is
9. The climate data above are representative of map location
10. The agricultural productivity of soils at location Y on the map is influenced by
12. Select either photograph A or B and answer the following:
a) Identify the natural vegetation associated with the photograph you have selected. (1mark)
b) Identify the name of the soil associated with the natural vegetation in the photograph you have selected. (1mark)
c) Describe one way that the natural vegetation has adapted to the climate. (1mark)
d) State one major threat to the biome. (1mark)
13. The city that best matches the climate data above is
14. Mixed and deciduous forests and grey-brown podzolic soils would be found near
15. Climate graph T represents a(n)
16. The land use in North America associated with climate graph R is
19. In British Columbia, what type of vegetation would be found at the 2 000 metre elevation?
20. Which climate graph represents a region of convectional rainfall and black chernozem soils?
21. Identify the biome and human activity associated with climate graph Y.
22. The climate graph which represents a region where smaller trees are overshadowed and protected by giant trees growing in lateritic soil is
23. Which climate graph is most closely associated with the photograph?
24. Identify the biome represented in the photograph. Describe two ways that this vegetation has adapted to the climate. (3 marks)
Description of adaptation 1: ___________________________________________
Description of adaptation 2: __________________________________________
25. The greatest biodiversity is found in
26. Which of the following activities is associated with the region represented by the climate data above?
27. Which of the profiles above represents a podzol soil? A. W. B. X. C. Y. D. Z.
28. Xerophytic vegetation and sierozem soils are associated
29. Tornadoes occur most often in location A. P. B. Q. C. R. D. S.
30. a) Identify the natural vegetation zone associated with this climate region.
b) Vegetation in this biome has adapted to the physical conditions in several ways. Explain the reason for each of the following adaptations.
i) Shallow roots: ii) Stunted growth:
31. The climate region represented by climate graph Z is
32. A region with coniferous vegetation is best represented by climate graph
A. W. B. X. C. Y. D. Z.
33. The soil profile above is associated with climate graph
A. W. B. X. C. Y. D. Z.
34. The economic activity most closely associated with climate graph W is
A. rice cultivation. B. wine production. C. softwood logging. D. hardwood extraction.
Mean Annual Temperature: 20. 9° C
Annual Precipitation: 178 mm
35. The soil classification associated with the data above is
A. latosol. B. podzol. C. sierozem. D. chernozem.
36. The factors that make tropical rain forests evergreen are
and low humidity. B. rich
soils and abundant water.
2) For Review Questions #27 to 36, submit
your answers to your instructor via e-mail and include an explanation
for each. This exercise is worth 5 marks.
Press the button on the Action menu to proceed.